Read Philippians 4:8-9
In verse 8-9 we are given two verbs:
- Put into practice
In verse 8—“think about these things” in the Greek means, “to consider, to reckon, to think deeply”. Also it is a present imperative, which means that it is a command to be obeyed on a continuous basis. In other words, Paul is saying this: “have a lifestyle of continually thinking about these things”
Ultimately what things are honorable and lovely and excellent? Thoughts about Jesus and the gospel and the glory of God.
Read Colossians 3:1-3
Let’s do an exercise today and take each of these things that Paul wants us to think about and then mediate upon an aspect of God and His glory.
What things are:
- True— Romans 3:4, Ephesians 4:25, Colossians 1:5
- Honorable—1 Timothy 2:2, Titus 2:2, 3:8
- Just—Revelation 15:3
- Pure—2 Corinthians 11:2, 1 Timothy 5:22, James 3:17, 1 John 3:3
- Lovely—Psalm 84:1-2
- Commendable—2 Corinthians 6:8
- Excellent—Psalm 150:2, 1 Peter 2:9, 2 Peter 1:3
- Praiseworthy—Psalm 18:3
As you’ve read and thought about these, which one in particular has struck a chord in your soul today? Spend some time praising God for that and thinking deeply upon Him!